Thursday 12 December 2013

Lost and found



In the cynosure of the sea
One foot in the present, one in the past,
The great divide, dividing me.

Looking behind me, what do I see?
White cliffs of Dover receding fast
Into a misty miasma in my lee.

How can it be
This Elysium, this Eden, my home once classed
Elicits an excitement now to flee?

Facing forward, what do I see
Emerging through silent sunbeams? Fringed, grassed
Pastures, stretching to eternity.

How can it be
That this multi culti land, so vast,
Calms my heart, is my serenity?

In the cynosure of the sea
One foot in the present, one in the past
Coalescent waves, unify me.

Sharing with Poets United for the prompt lost art a six stanza poem with two rhyming patterns. http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.ch/


16 comments:

  1. Very good take on the prompt. Really we always miss the past while we are living in the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, in my case I miss the family left behind and fish and chips, naturally!

      Delete
  2. You can't leave behind what it feels like..and there's marmite to either miss or be glad to wave goodbye too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the format of this poem, and that the opening and closing lines bring it full circle......so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, that's what I was aiming for.

      Delete
  4. Very effective poem here. I like the one foot in the present and the other in the past. Leaving the past behind can be hard sometime!

    (Any chance you can get rid of word verification!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are so right. That's a mission for me in 2014, an empty nest. I am quite excited though. I also tried to turn off the word verification. I think I succeeded. Let me know if I didn't. Ciao

      Delete
  5. How can it not be? I keep finding this comfort in visits to the mountains and river where I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan, I love my mountains and rivers too. I think it's genetic and comes from my my grandparents.

      Delete
  6. "the great divide dividing me"

    I connected to this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, lovely to make conmections. E M Forster "only connect" Passage to India, I think.

      Delete
  7. more than just a bit lingers alongwith us in our journey. so true! a wonderful take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A magical poem ... loved it :-)

    "In the cynosure of the sea
    One foot in the present, one in the past" - Superb !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amrit
      You are too kind. Glad you liked it.
      Ciao
      Pea

      Delete